May 14, 2009

Experimenting with recycling denim



I finally spent some time yesterday playing with some jeans denim and embellishments to create a unique bag. The original idea of this style came from Haute Handbags Vol. 2 - Denim Journal Duvets by Cher Lashley. I don't use journals but thought these duvets would make cute bags using part of the leg from a pair of jeans.

I pulled out all sorts of tubs & containers looking for coordinating embellishments for the Geisha print. First I painted some stitch witchery with thinned gold metallic paint, sandwiched some sage green crepe back satin between the stitch witchery and the graphic and ironed it all in place using a teflon sheet.

Then I added a a strip of oriental script, zigzag stitching, a fussie cut flower and some fun fringe. Tan printed brocade has been used as lining and the top band. I still need to finish the top and add a handle, maybe from denim.

I may change the top band as I am not really happy with the look, maybe I will shorten it and add some more trim of some kind. Guess I'll have to think on it a while.

2 comments:

Robin Pedrero said...

OMGosh I love these!!!

Kathleen said...

Thanks Robin! That means a lot coming from such a talented artist.